has been argued that without this win at the battle
of Rosslyn, Scotland's wars of independance might
not have continued.
can visit the battlesite near Roslin village and
can read more about this fascinating battle by
clicking the following link to the Battle
History Snippet - Knights Templar
History Snippet - Newbattle Abbey
March 1320 a "Great Council of Earls, Barons
and Freeholders" foregathered at Newbattle
Abbey. Directly following the solemn considerations
at Newbattle, Bernard de Linton - Abbot of Arbroath
and Chancellor of Scotland - wrote a declaration,
on 6th April 1320 on behalf of the " Community
of the Realm of Scotland". The declaration
is known as "The Declaration of Arbroath".
The declaration is widely regarded as the noblest
statement of Scottish national sentiment ever
penned. It was written in an eloquent, scholarly,
yet heart-stirring vigorous mediaeval Latin prose.
It was an emotional outporing of a nation's pride
and dignity..and its claim to freedom. It was
the first time in european history that power
and rights were declared by "the people".
It is also interesting that the declaration made
clear and plain to King Robert I ( the Bruce),
in his presence, that he had the loyalty of the
nation for so long as he returned that loyalty.
He was King of Scots - not King of Scotland.
[ A Copy of the declaration would be a fine easily
transported gift from Scotland for overseas visitors.
You can purchase an exact copy of the text in
Latin, an English translation together with a
colour information sheet by linking to Scotia
Fine Art Ltd. website : www.scotiafineart.com
....it is after all the most treasured and precious
historical document of Scotland] An excerpt from
the Declaration of Arbroath - one of the great
affirmations of the world:-
"It is not for
glory nor riches that we fight, but for freedom
alone, which no good man gives up except with
History Snippet - Rullion Green Battlesite
battle of Rullion Green took place in 1666 - (near
Flotterstone in the Pentland Hills on A702 trunk
for more information
For hundreds of years those in search of Scotlands
past have paid tribute to the fallen heroes of the
Covenanters movement at a famous battlesite in the
Pentlands. The place where hundreds of Scots were
crushed by the notorious "Bluidy" Tam
Dalyell after gathering to fight for their religious
freedom was thought to have been marked with a suitable
memorial. New evidence has been unearthed which
suggests the memorial to the Battle of Rullion Green
is in the wrong place. Now calls have been made
for a memorial to be placed on the "real"
battlesite where Covenanters fought against a Royalist
force in 1666.
have long believed that the battle was fought
on the slopes of Turnhouse Hill, overlooking the
valley of the Glencorse Burn.
belief led to a Martyrs Memorial to those
who died in battle being built at the nearby hamlet
of Flotterstone. But a team of researchers have
now turned history on its head by claiming that
the actual site of the battle is on a grassy knoll
over a mile away from the traditional site, at
Lawhead Farm. The researchers went back to original
source material from people who fought in the
battle in a bid to pinpoint the exact site of
spokesman for the team, which included experts
from Historic Scotland, Aberdeen University and
Edinburgh-based CFA Archaeology Ltd, said: "The
project produced some remarkable results, questioning
the traditional location of Rullion Green. What
should be a straightforward issue has been clouded
by conflicting contemporary or near-contemporary
accounts of the action.
modern maps place the main action in a wide hollow
on the east ridge of Turnhouse Hill or on the
most detailed modern account, that offered by
C Sanford Terry in 1905, sites the whole of the
action on the slopes overlooking the valley of
the Glencorse Burn.
this does not accord with the reports given in
the memoirs of the captive Sir James Turner, or
the Covenanter soldiers Colonel Wallace and William
Veitch, or, from the government side, in Charles
Maitlands eye-witness soldiers account."
accounts, studied by the research team, point
to the main action taking place south of a grassy
knoll by Lawhead Farm.
Neighbour, from CFA Archaeology, said the findings
suggested action now needed to be taken to protect
and enhance the true battle site. "The site,
which does not enjoy any statutory protection,
is largely undeveloped.
main area of the battle is preserved as rough
pasture, but there is no interpretation material
offered at the site, nor is it signposted from
the main A702 road."
Covenanter historians today called for the real
battle site to be recognised .
Love, honorary secretary of the Covenanters Memorial
Association, said: "There should be something
in place to mark the spot where the actual battle
took place. Rullion Green was one of the major
battles of the Covenanting era and the actual
battle site should be a place of national importance."
Dalyell MP, whose ancestor "Bluidy"
Tam led the Royalist troops, was intrigued to
learn that the actual battle site may be a mile
away from the current site.
said: "This is an interesting development.
As a seeker after truth I am completely relaxed
about any new evidence which comes to light which
may change our view of where the battle took place."
wife, Kathleen Dalyell, a keen historian, added:
"Similar things have happened with the location
of Bannockburn. The site of the memorial at Bannockburn
is actually some distance away from where the
Rullion Green, there was a fierce fight and it
is possible that the fighting was actually spread
over a large area. "
Pentland Hills Rangers service is set to recognise
the new find by leading guided tours around it.
Ranger Mike Hanlin said: " We will be taking
people round the real site on September
21, from 2-4pm. It will be interesting to let
people find out more about the actual battle site."
History Snippet - Local History
derived and edited by: Vestilia at: 10/23/02 3:02:59
Sinclairs settled in the Roslin area during the
Norman Conquest of Britain. They were a very powerful
Orcadian family who owned vast tracts of lands
throughout Scotland and the Orkneys eventually.
At Rosslyn they continued their family strain
of owership for over seven hundred years.
Connected closely with the Bruces and other powerful
French families, including the Stewarts.
Roslin lies nine miles south of Edinburgh and
has become world famous because of the beautiful
chapel built there 1446 - 1486. Designed by William
Sinclair, 3rd Prince of Orkney and earl of Rosslyn,
it was known as the Collegiate Church of St Matthews.
ultimate Grail Chapel, much speculative work been
written on its secrets. Even as long ago as the
1500s, Mary of Guise, Mary Queen of Scots'mother
wrote promising to keep secret all she had been
shown at Rosslyn.
six miles from Rosslyn lay the ancient HQ of the
Knights Templar. They built a round church at
Temple in 1153 on lands them by David 1, beside
the river South Esk. It is said that Midlothian
became a regular recruitment ground for the Templars
since 1118 when they were founded, with claims
that their founder married Katherine St Clair
Battle of Roslin in 1303 was reputedly won with
the military skilled aid of the Templars and their
cousin group the Cistercian "warrior"
monks. About six thousand Scottish foot soldiers,
one third led by William Wallace, defeated a thirty
thousand strong English army that included cavalry.
Carnethy Hill Race marks the occasion when Prior
Abernethy raised a fiery cross on the hill to
inspire the weary Scottish soldiers to fight on.
Castle was built shortly after this victory, and
Bruce became king of Scotland. Rosslyn's wealth
rivaled that of Holyrood., and it held a significant
scriptorium where ancient manuscripts were copied,
sadly burnt by the English during Cromwell's reign.
Knights Templar and many associated professionals
escaped from mainland Europe to Scotland and other
safe havens in the early fourteenth century. They
may have imported great wealth to the region,
particularly into the hands of the Sinclairs,
who ensured their integration into Scottish society.
Soon after their suppression in Europe all Templar
lands were officially passed to the Knights of
St John, but many believe that the the Templars
merely merged into the Knights Hospitallers (St
Meanwhile, the Sinclairs were hereditary masters
of all operative guilds of craftsmen, unitl the
Act of Union with Englnd in 1606 when the Sinclair
was elected Master of al free speculative masons.
Rosslyn Chapel is seen by modern day freemasons
as their first temple in the west, partly due
to the significance of many of its carvings. Surrounding
castles share this colourful history.
Castle(1320) in its serene setting was owned by
a family of brave knights of the same name, who
fought alongside the Sinclairs in the Crusades,
and who also fought valiantly for the Scottish
kings over the centuries. The Borthwicks were
official cup- bearers to the Sinclairs, who in
turn were cup-bearers to the Scottish king!
the Borthwicks, the ancient Hays, later of Yester
lived here. In Roman times. A causeway went form
here ot the east coast at Musselburgh.
is from Borthwick Castle that Mary Queen of Scots
escaped in disguise as a page boy in 1767 in order
to meet in secret with Lord Bothwell. The Borthwicks
had entreated her to stay within the safety of
their stronghold, but she was headstrong. The
two fifteenth century effigies of Lord and Lady
Borthwick in Borthwick Church are the best examples
of their kind in Scotland.
Castle two miles away also has a collegiate church
adjacent. The church was built in 1449,by the
chancellor of Scotland Sir William Crichton.
Crichtons held lands there from the twelfth century
and present castle was built around the start
of the fifteenth century when the Crichtons were
one of Scotland's three greatest families. This
did not halt the inter- feuding though. Following
scandals the Crichtons lost their barony to the
Ramseys, newly earls of Bothwell in 1484. Ramsay
became Treasurer of Scotland.
third earl married Mary Queen of Scots as her
third and arguably traitorous husband.
Earlier she had spent part of her honeymoon with
Darnley there. Francis Steward in 1581 was the
next Bothwell to take possession of the castle,
but his reign there was short lived. In 1659 much
of the property was dismantled, and Walter Scott
mentioned the ruin in the epoch poem Marmion.
Castle built 1825 by Dalrymple. Carrington a parish
from at least the twelfth century. The Primroses
early family owners They supported Mary Queen
of Scots. Roseberry Estate close by passed into
their hands from the Dalhousies in 1644. The Forresters
of Costorphine owned the estate previously.
Dundas family owned Arniston Estates. They were
wealthy lawyers who turned to coal mining in later
years. One of oldest families in area Cockpen
and Dalhousie Castle - ancient seat of Ramsays.
1849 Marquis of Dalhousie - Governer General of
India in mutiny- buried at Cockpen Church
Melville Castle - early medieval castle on North
Esk, downstream form Roslin- rebuilt 1786 for
first Viscount Melville - designed by William
- Newbattle Abbey built in 1140 was destroyed
by English in 1385, and the Cisterician monks
spent forty years restoring it! In 1503 Margaret
Tudor spent three days at the abbey where she
was officially introduced to her future husband
James 1V. In 1560 the last abbot Mark Kerr became
a Protestant and then remained on the land, driving
out his brother monks. The aggressive abbot's
son became earl of Lothian and that title was
further elevated to Marquess of Lothian in 1701.
The property was The oldest objects at the abbey
by far are the Ninevah tablets, dating back to
the seventh century BC!transferred to the nation
in 1937 and now is an independent college of further
font discovered in 1873 in ruins of Scotland's
first Palladian style mansion Mavisbank bore the
crest of the abbot in 1542, and so was returned
to Newbattle for safekeeping.
font is believed to have been used at Mary Queen
of Scots' baptism. It is housed in a small chapel
in the original crypt. The chapel has a an exquisite
marquetry floor made from the trees on the estate.
The largest beeches in the world once grew here
on banks of South Esk
the south and north branch of the rivers Esk meet
in Dalkeith Country Park, the oak trees are said
to be over one thousand years old at their bases!
In the grounds stands Dalkeith Palace, stronghold
of a very important figure in the eleventh century;
William de Graham who was witness to the Holyrood
Charter 1128 in David 1's reign.
two centuries the palace passed over to the powerful
Douglas clan by marriage in 1328. The first church
of St Nicholas was named after the patron saint
of the Grahams. St Nicholas and stood as early
as 1350. The collegiate church built before 1420
when owner, first Lord of Dalkeith, James Douglas
First Earl of Morton - James Douglas - probably
the effigy in open apse. + wife Johan.
Upper two stories of sacristy is being restored,
and is very old- probably fourteenth century.
Probably were residences, and as such, quite unique
- Romanesque church of St Mungo- Penicuik Old
Valleyfield House 300 of Napoleon's men held prisoner
of war here. Penicuik Estate - Sir Alan Clark
- a great scholar and mystic in Age of Enlightenment.
Designed layout of estate and first home that
home in stable block - includes Clark's design
of Arthur's O'on at rear of this block - round
building is a copy of "Roman" building
taken down to replace with iron foundry in Falkirk
by George Bruce. Possible old Falkirk Arthurian
Alan Ramsay - poet who lived 1686- 1758. Wrote
the Gentle Shepherd, based on area around Pentland
Hills (?) Obelisk at Penicuik Estate dedicated
John Clerk 1611 - 1674 historian and mystic of
nearby Penicuik House 1646 was a direct descendent
of Hawthornden's founder William Drummond; a mason
of great literary pursuits in the seventeenth
century. Clerk assisted in renovations of the
ruined post - Reformation Rosslyn Chapel during
the eighteenth century. Like Rosslyn, Clerk's
own estate borders on the magical North Esk river.
Sinclairs built Logan Tower on Black Hill on lands
won on hunt.
Also St Katherine's Chapel rededicated endowed
church now under reservoir at Glencorse.
- Lord Drummond a seventeenth century writer /
poet who lived at Hawthornden Castle in Roslin
Glen- associate of Ben Johnson. Liked to composed
in glen- Buried in Lasswade Parish Kirkyard -
effigy of ancient knight from Battle of Roslin
1303 there in vault too!
Castle's early lairds were Abernethy from Saltoun,
early Celtic family. Fifteenth century tower and
earlier foundations - including passages in rocks
below - hiding place for Bruce and earlier 1303
inn Laird and Dog around corner.
Jackie Queally 2003